Thursday, October 10, 2013

Slow Cooker Apple Sauce


 
We went apple picking, and ended up with more apple than we know what to do with. So I felt inspired to do something I've never done before- Apple Sauce.
 

I was surprised as to how easy it was to make it. Truett was my little helper, washing, (eating) and slicing the apples.

As a homeschooling mom, of a child with sensory problems, this was a dream project. He got to use all of his senses, while feeling like a master chef. He got to touch (washing and slicing), see, smell (my house smelled like an harvest festival), hear (he had to follow my instructions) and taste (which he did at every step of the process).



 



 



Ingredients:
8 medium apples  or 20 small apples (enough to fill the crock pot)
1 strips of lemon peel
1 tsp fresh lemon juice
3 inch cinnamon stick
5 tsp light brown sugar (unpacked)
 
1. Peel, core and chop the apples.

2. Add the sugar, lemon peel, lemon juice and cinnamon stick.

3. Set crock pot to low and cook for 6 hours. Stir apples occasionally, apples will slowly become a delicious applesauce. Remove cinnamon stick . As you stir, the apples will become more sauce like.

4. Keep refrigerated up to 3 weeks or can and process as you would other recipes.





Note: I doubled the recipe and added a teaspoon of Vanilla extract.
 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment