Thursday, August 8, 2013

I'm going "no-poo", how about you?

"No-poo" is a method of washing your hair without using shampoo. There are a few different methods out there, from using honey to simply using water. I have chosen the "baking soda and vinegar" method. Last night was my first "no-poo" wash.
But before I jumped in the bandwagon, I did some research. I am always one for organic, natural things, so when I heard about it, I got interested very quickly. But I still wasn't sure what was so bad about shampoo. Well, as it turns out they can contain a lot of harmful ingredients. And the ones that claim to "Coat", do so with silicone based chemicals, they "coat" the moisture out and dry out your hair. And the others actually strip your hair of its naturals oils.
Some of the worst chemical ingredients are:

  • Sodium Lauryl
  • Sodium Laureth Sulfate
  • DEA/Diethanolamine
  • Parabens
  • Fragrance
After I read about those things, I was already convinced. But then I went to the store and realized that I probably bought a year's worth of "no-poo" supplies for about five dollars- now there was no turning back for me.
So here is the run down on it.


About three times a week, I am going to wash my hair with a mixture of baking soda and water. I'm using the most recommended amount, which is 1 Tbsp of baking soda to 1 cup of water. And I will condition my hair with a mixture of apple cider vinegar and water. I am doing 2 Tbsp apple cider vinegar with 1 cups of water, though some recommend 2 cup of water.
I’ve read that, especially in the beginning while your scalp is adjusting, an excess of ACV on your scalp could cause more overproducing of oils, so for now I’m only going to rinse the ends.
What I was told to expect
At least Two weeks of wondering what was I thinking, because my hair is overly greasy. This is the scalp adjusting itself. As the baking soda strips away the chemicals from the shampoo, the hair will overproduce oils to compensate. So I'm expecting Lots of ponytails and hats for these first few weeks.
After the first couple of weeks i should start to see increasingly better hair. and on the days to come luxorious, beautiful hair I never knew we had.
My first experience



Honestly, it was not at all what I expected. At first it was really weird, because the water and baking soda did not feel like conventional shampoo. It had no suds and I couldn't tell if I was using enough. It felt like I was just rinsing with water. I let it sit for three minutes as recommended and rinsed.
 
I was very skeptical when it came to he ACV, and I was really afraid that my hair would smell that way. After rinsing it, I was almost tempted to add some "real" conditioner because my hair felt a little dry, as if I hadn't used any conditioner at all. But I stayed strong and just finished rinsing it. To my surprise, my hair did not smell like vinegar, and when I started to brush, it was actually rather soft. I haven't seen the "greasiness" that is suppose to come, but I'm guessing that comes with the second wash. I'm excited about what's to come.
 
I promise to keep you updated on the my progress as I go.
 
Anyone else trying this method? Anyone doing the honey wash? I would love to hear from you, especially since it seems that I will need some encouragement on the days to come. I was told to stay strong for at least three weeks before resorts. Lets see how it goes. 
 
Wish me luck,
Nessy 

1 comment:

  1. This sounds interesting! I will be waiting to see how it turns out! ;) -Stacy2

    ReplyDelete